Review of the Mondraker Crafty RR eMTB
The Mondraker brand has built a stellar race reputation on their forward geometry and zero suspension and now have partnered with Bosch to make some of the most reliable and fast paced eMTBs on the market. So what makes Mondraker ebikes so special? Design. It is a simple fact. We aren’t just talking about the stunning lines or perfect battery integrations, we are talking about it all. It is hard to sum up in a blog and really the best way to know the feeling is to ride them.
Not many shops have these bikes in stock or even have access to them, so we are here to help you decide from afar. If you don’t have access to test ride these ebikes, experts like us can help you decide which model is right for you. We ride, we review and we know how they feel.
Mondraker wants to keep making waves in the US and they have priced and spec’d their bikes to make them a no-brainer for the consumer. Don’t fret about them being new(ish) to the United States. They have a storied history in Spain. If needed, we have all warranty related concerns covered.
Mondraker’s Crafty electric mountain bikes have been top performers in the electric enduro and all mountain riding scene since they dropped a few years back.
- The Crafty series keeps things versatile by having 160 mm of travel capable of taking some big hits, but also having forward geometry, the patented geometry from Mondraker, meaning you can take singletrack with this enduro bike as well.
- This versatility means you can do loads of different riding styles with just one eMTB, which is a pretty rare quality.
- The Crafty RR is the best aluminum eMTB option in the states. This bike adds a nice bit of kashima coating and some upgraded components in comparison to its little brother the Crafty R, and, man, is it flashy looking.
All of Mondraker's Crafty eMTBs are going to come with the Bosch Smart System this year.
- You've, of course, got that Bosch Performance line CX motor with 85 newton meters of torque, and that 750 watt hour battery.
- Mondraker also sets you up with the complete Bosch Smart System with the Kiox 300 display and the Bosch LED remote.
A SRAM GX Eagle 12-speed derailleur on an 11-50 tooth cassette adds some incredible climbing capability because that is a wide gear ratio, and you've got added torque up front with a 34 tooth chainring.
- Mondraker completes the SRAM circle of life with Code R hydraulic disk brakes.
- Your real stopping power is going to come from those massive 200 mm rotors front and rear.
Up front you've got a Fox 38 Float, 160 mm of travel front and rear in this bike, and you’ve also got the Fox Float X LV in the back, plus added capacity with that piggybacked canister.
- This enduro friendly suspension is paired with some enduro friendly geometry as well.
- You’ve got a 73.5 degree seat tube angle and a 65.5 degree head tube angle.
- Mondraker has stuck with 29” wheels on the Crafty’s this year.
I have yet to be disappointed by a Mondraker Crafty bike this year, so admittedly, because this is the most expensive one we have ridden, my expectations are pretty high. I put this bike to the test with a super techy climb. (you are going to want to actually watch the video above to get the feel for what this bike can do!)
- Just the way I was able to choose the fun lines and still hold plenty of speed comfortably on such a steep grade is a true testament to the Bosch motor and also Mondraker’s zero suspension forward geometry system.
- The short stem kept my front end very nimble and maneuverable so I could make last second adjustments on steep sections.
- This bike super balanced. That 38 is just crushing over everything in its path. Right through those rocks like it was nothing. It’s an amazing bike.
Something I’ve been consistently impressed with on the 2022 Crafty's specifically is that it seems like you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck.
- If you look at the bikes from other eMTB companies that are going to be offering similar components, I can pretty much guarantee you that you’re going to be paying more from those companies than you would on a Mondraker Crafty.
- Overall, I think the 2022 Mondraker Crafty RR provides significant upgrades over the 2021 Craftys.
- This bike is on the upper end of 4 figures, but for the components that you are getting on this bike, I would say it’s a pretty great value.
- If you’re comparing the Crafty RR with the Crafty R, make sure you go ahead and check out Mondraker Crafty R Review.
Fly Rides makes buying your ebike easy. We provide expert guidance, excellent post-purchase support, and competitive pricing.
- We are passionate riders and only sell what we’ve tested ourselves.
- We work hard to make sure you spend more time riding and less time in the shop, but when you do need our support, we’re there for you because you’re part of the Fly Ride family.
- We offer financing programs via Affirm allowing you to pay over time. Details here.