Review of the Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite
The Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite is back for 2022 with a couple of key redesign features. You guys probably know Royal Dutch Gazelle because, I mean, let's face it, they are in fact royalty out of the Netherlands. They are some of the best commuting and leisure bikes you can get, so let's take a look today at one of their best, the Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite.
“Royal Dutch Gazelle has been making bikes for more than 125 years in the Dieren factory. We focus on safety and comfort in an attractive design fitted with the latest innovations. You'll enjoy being seen on a Gazelle bike when you're out and about on a bike like the Dutch. We always make bikes of the best quality. We realize that it is not enough to simply deliver a product of good quality, so one of our principles is that we provide the best service. We do everything so that you can carry on riding. We make cycling fun, more appealing, and safer.”
So I've always had great experiences on Gazelle bikes, and I've gotta say, the Gazelle Arroyo C8 for 2022 is really no different. This is an extremely comfortable ride not just in the specs, but also in the actual usage of the bike.
- The versatility of that Gazelle switch stem makes it a bike that is just as capable of cruising by the beach as it is of commuting on a daily basis.
- What helps a lot with that is the Bosch Active Line Plus Motor and the 500 watt hour battery - because it's a lower torque motor, you are not using as much power, so I was pretty easily able to get between 30 and 40 miles no problem.
- If you're being more conservative I would say you would actually be able to go higher than that 40 mile mark as well.
- I'm a big fan of the Active Line Plus motor because it can keep you in the action. If you pump it up to turbo, you're going to have no problem getting up some pretty significant climbs, especially when it's partnered with that Shimano Nexus 8-speed drivetrain.
Starting off at that motor, we have got the Bosch Active Line Plus on this bike with 50 nm of torque. That's going to partner with a 500 watt hour powertube battery sitting nice and sleek in the downtube.
- The Bosch Active Line Plus motor is going to partner with a Shimano Nexus 8-speed rear hub. This is a classic internally geared drivetrain that I think works better than ever this year.
- Your groupset is rounded off with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on a 180 mm rotor upfront and a 160 mm rotor in the back.
- You've got that wave frame and the Gazelle Switch stem, which is a way that you can make the handlebars work for you no matter how you like to ride.
- That rear rack is going to carry 27 kilograms (60 lbs) which is an upgrade from the typical rack that usually sits in the 22-25 range. 2-5 kg doesn't sound like much, but it's really almost 5-10 more lbs.
- Plus, you have integrated lights and an AXA defender cafe lock.
I would definitely recommend taking a look at the Ultimate C8, or upgrading all the way up to the Ultimate C380 HMB. These bikes are going to offer some nice upgrades.
- In the case of the Ultimate C380, upgrading to that Enviolo C380 drivetrain with a gates carbon belt drive, and also a stronger Bosch motor.
- The Gazelle Ultimate C8 will upgrade things like a gates carbon belt drive and a little bit more travel in that suspension fork.
Fly Rides makes buying your ebike easy. We provide expert guidance, excellent post-purchase support, and competitive pricing.
- We are passionate riders and only sell what we’ve tested ourselves.
- We work hard to make sure you spend more time riding and less time in the shop, but when you do need our support, we’re there for you because you’re part of the Fly Ride family.
- We offer financing programs via Affirm allowing you to pay over time. Details here.