Review of the Riese & Muller Multicharger Cargo eBike
The Riese & Muller Multicharger is back for 2022, but this time, you've got the opportunity to add the all new Bosch Smart System! Cargo bikes are one of Riese & Muller's specialties, and this rear-loading cargo bike doesn't seem to be an exception. The Load and Packster have long led the way in electric cargo bikes, but the Multicharger rounds the fleet out nicely with a more traditional bicycle design. Take a look at the bike in detail and a ride review in our video!
Our passion for bikes and innovations, as well as our perfectionist approach, dominate our work. The products that result are E-Bikes, E-Cargo Bikes and folding bikes of the highest quality, perfected down to the tiniest detail, featuring state-of-the-art technology and pioneering design. Or in other words, true German engineering skill.
We took the Multicharger GT Vario 750 for a spin. At this point, front-loading cargo bikes really haven't made the same headway in the U.S. market as they have in European markets.
- I don't know if we're just a little bit more suspicious about those front-loading bikes, but I do think the Multicharger with that rear loading capability probably is going to be a more popular cargo option for a lot of people.
- The ride is more similar to a typical electric commuting bike, as opposed to front loading cargo bikes, where it's kind of a new experience, and does take some getting used to.
- I found that the Multicharger rode very similarly to the Nevo. You're nice and upright and it's kind of a hardtail situation, so it is a little more tactile in the back and you can feel the road a little bit better.
- There's a tendency sometimes with rear loading cargo bikes when that back is fully loaded for the front wheel to come up a little bit, but I never felt like that was going to happen on this bike.
- It feels very sturdy. You do ride pretty upright on this bike, but I never felt that was a detriment to the handling, which is really impressive.
- The rear rack this year is going to carry up to 143 pounds. That’s a lot of groceries, luggage, gear, work stuff…
- Bosch Smart System: Learn more about the Bosch Smart System HERE
- Bosch Performance CX motor with 85 newton meters of torque and 250 watts
- Bosch 750 watt hour battery (40 to 70 miles).
- Kiox 300 display and the more ergonomic controller.
- Enviolo hub (grip shifter) - 380% gear ratio and, of course, infinite gears.
- Gates Carbon Belt Drive
- 180 millimeter rotor up front on a Magura MT5
- In the back, it's a 203 millimeter rotor on a Magura MT4
- A Suntour XCR32 fork with 100 millimeters of travel
- Schwalbe Moto-x tires. 2.4 inches wide
- Thudbuster from Cane Creek. suspension seat post
- integrated lights. You've got a supernova mini 2 up front. Busch and Muller tail light in the rear
This is going to add a comfy cushion along with a set of grips for riders who are capable of holding on and you're not afraid they're going to fall out the back.
- But if you are afraid that they're gonna fall out the back--maybe you've got some little ones back there--you've got that safety bar as well.
Probably the next most common upgrade is going to be the GX package, which is a really simple upgrade.
- It takes those Moto-x tires and turns them into some off-road tires which allows you to take this bike on gravel trails and packed dirt.
- This particular upgrade is only $59.
For those of you thinking, “Can I still get my 1125 watt hours that I've become so used to on the Riese & Muller bikes?" The answer is yes! I’m sure some of you were worried about this when you saw it with 750 watt hours.
- If you want to do a 500 watt hour Powerpack and a 625 watt hour Powertube you can do that on the Multicharger for that 1125 watt hour battery capacity.
- Now, I will say, I think the 750 is going to be plenty for most people, but I do know that big battery capacities still reign supreme in terms of electric bikes.
Fly Rides makes buying your ebike easy. We provide expert guidance, excellent post-purchase support, and competitive pricing.
- We are passionate riders and only sell what we’ve tested ourselves.
- We work hard to make sure you spend more time riding and less time in the shop, but when you do need our support, we’re there for you because you’re part of the Fly Ride family.
- We offer financing programs via Affirm allowing you to pay over time. Details here.