Bikepacking Scotland with Electric Bikes
Did you know that Megan and Ike share a birthday? Every year in September they try to take some sort of adventure trip to celebrate. This year, Ike and Megan chose the Scottish highlands, where they could indulge in some of their favorite activities.
- Ike recently got into fly fishing and wanted to do it in Scotland, which is where fly fishing was invented.
- They both love scotch, so they knew they needed to hit Oban to try some of their famous whisky.
Along the way, they were looking forward to taking in the awesome scenery and, of course, a lot of mountain biking.
Ike and Megan love being out in the wild, but they wanted to take in some of Scotland's culture in addition to the beautiful scenery of the highlands.
- After flying into London, they took the train to Edinburgh to spend a few days sightseeing and then pick up their bikes.
- Their route took them from Oban through the central part of the highlands and the Cairngorms National Park before heading up the east coast to Stonehaven.
- The Riese & Muller Superdelite is more than capable of hauling camping gear, but Ike and Megan opted for a more laid-back trip and stayed in hotels and inns along the way.
- Ike and Megan improvised a route based on backpacking.com and Google maps. Their route was mostly dirt, with a few technical sections like the Devil’s Staircase, to put the Riese and Muller Superdelite through their paces.
With 1000 watt-hours of battery, full suspension, and tires that are capable of anything, the Riese & Muller Superdelite is the ultimate exploration vehicle. You can just go out and enjoy yourself and explore this beautiful world.
- The Bosch power tube and Shimano GX drivetrain combine to give you the ultimate bike packing set-up. Plus plenty of storage for all of your gear.
- Bike packing with electric mountain bikes means you can go a little bit faster, cover a little more ground, and spend more time actually enjoying the ride, rather than just pedaling all day to try to get to the next spot.
One of the things Ike and Megan enjoy most about bike touring and bike backing is taking the time to explore, improvise and wander.
- Getting lost is so valuable from a soul standpoint, when you get lost a little bit you get a little bit more in touch with your primeval self.
- There’s something really special about traveling by bicycle. You get to smell the field as you ride through them. You can stop at any place to grab a photo or roll off into a field a little bit.
- Bike touring on an eBike makes those experiences so much more accessible and available to more people.
Also in Stoke Life
San Diego has some of the best Mexican spots north of the border. When I first moved to San Diego and tried Mexican here for the first time, it was a revelation. Had I even really had Mexican cuisine before? The best thing about the Mexican food out here is that you can find some of the best spots in ...